Saturday 10 June 2017

Memento mori

I was shocked to learn, on Sunday, of the sudden death of Patrick Johnston, VC at Queens University, Belfast. I met Paddy for the first time last year, when I ran an event for him and his senior team. Since then, we have met a number of times, as we discussed and then planned a further significant piece of work, which was just due to start next week.

He struck me as a leader of vision and integrity, and his humanity was always very much in evidence, as was his courage. 


His sudden death has clearly impacted others, family, friends and colleagues, far more than me; yet I have been struck by how distressed I have been. I had come to regard him as a friend as well as a colleague, and feel that the friendship ended just as it was beginning.


I feel privileged to have known him, and will long remember him.


His death feels particularly poignant as he was only a couple of years older than I am, and like me had four children and a new grandchild.


I found the homily preached at his funeral Mass, by a priest who was a family friend, very moving.


May he rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment